An optically active alcohol A (C6H10O) absorbs 2 moles of H2 per mole of A upon hydrogenation and gives compound B which does not show optical activity .What are A ,B.? I m not getting how to know the structure of alcohol to proceed for solution

An optically active alcohol A (C6H10O) absorbs 2 moles of H2 per mole of A upon hydrogenation and gives compound B which does not show  optical activity .What are A ,B.?      

I m not getting how to know the structure of alcohol to proceed for solution

Grade:12th pass

3 Answers

Arun
25750 Points
4 years ago
Compound A has following feature:
1) one asymmetric carbon
2) one OH group
3) ​one triple bond (as it is absorbing 2 mole of H2 for complete hydrogenation)
4) The C bearing OH group does not contain any H that is why compound B is resistant to oxidation.

Vikas TU
14149 Points
4 years ago
Compound A is unsaturated monohydric alcohol and it has either two C= C bonds or one triple bond. Compound A is optically active and after hydrogenation optically inactive compound 'B' is obtained which is not oxidised with CrO3. Hence, in it  -OH group is attached with tertiary C-atom i.e. it is a tertiary alcohol.
Devik Bansal
13 Points
4 years ago
Compound A is unsaturated monohydric alcohol and it has either two C=C bonds or one triple bond.
Compound A is optically active and after hydrogenation optically inactive compound B is obtained which is not oxidise with CrO3. Hence in it -OH group is attached  With tertiary C atom i.e., it is a tertiary alcohol

Think You Can Provide A Better Answer ?

ASK QUESTION

Get your questions answered by the expert for free