when we do the quantitative analysis of oxygen . why we use iodine pentaoxide instead of fact that it have oxygen itself .i have got these details from NCERT book of +1 chemistry part 2. Please give your answer. when we refer this I2O5 we will have produced carbon dioxide containing oxygen from iodine.

when we do the quantitative analysis of oxygen . why we use iodine pentaoxide instead of fact that it have oxygen itself .i have got these details from NCERT book of +1 chemistry part 2. Please give your answer.

when we refer this I2O5 we will have produced carbon dioxide containing oxygen from iodine.

Grade:11

1 Answers

Nandakumar UK
37 Points
10 years ago

In the process oxygen in the compound is completely converted to CO by passing over red hot coke; this CO is quantitatively converted to CO2 by passing through I2O5 solution. This CO2 is then reduced to STP and its volume is measured. Remembering one mole of CO2 has one mole oxygen atom from the organic compound ,every 22.7 litre CO2 corresponds to 16g oxygen (and not 32 g which would be the usual case). Then we can find the mass of oxygen and thus the % mass of oxygen in the compound. 

Think You Can Provide A Better Answer ?

ASK QUESTION

Get your questions answered by the expert for free