What is the mechanism of shifting of triple bond to the end of the chain in presence of NaNH2/ H2O ???

What is the mechanism of shifting of triple bond to the end of the chain in presence of NaNH2/ H2O ???

Grade:11

2 Answers

samarth saxena
37 Points
12 years ago

There is no mechanism of shifting of triple bond to the end of the chain in presence of sodamide(NaNH2).

Sodamide is a strong base which reacts with terminal alkyne (monosubstituted alkyne), R-C≡C-H or ethyne in which hydrogen atom is directly attached to triply bonded carbon to form sodium acetylide with the liberation of hydrogen gas. This reaction indicates that hydrogen atoms attached to triply bonded carbon in terminal alkynes are acidic in nature.

For example,

A second application of NaNH2 is in the formation of alkynes from halogens. Treatment of either geminal dihalides (i.e. – two halogens on one carbon) or vicinal dihalides (halogens on adjacent carbons) with NaNH2 (2 equiv) will result in the formation of alkynes.

Swapnil Saxena
102 Points
12 years ago

Thnxx fr trying. But u took the question wrong way. I didnt mean tht. Actually in arihant it was written tht NaNH2 helps in shifting of triple bond towards the end and KOH towards the center, I just wanna knw what leads to this observation. Once again thz fr try.

Think You Can Provide A Better Answer ?

ASK QUESTION

Get your questions answered by the expert for free