why stability is more if heat of hydrogenation is less??

why stability is more if heat of hydrogenation is less??

Grade:11

1 Answers

Aman Bansal
592 Points
12 years ago

Dear PArtha,

If an alkene is stable, its in a "low energy state", so when it becomes more stable it will be in a "lower energy state". So, given that, if something goes from a high energy state to a low energy state it will have a higher heat of hydrogenation because its energy released was large as it went from high to low. And, if something was in a low energy state and goes into a lower energy state, the heat of hydrogenation will be smaller because it went from low to lower. 

I believe heat of hydrogenation is an enthalpy value, so think of it in terms of enthalpy and I think it will make more sense.

ΔH = ΔE + PΔV - if we assume that there is no change in volume.
ΔH = ΔE = E_final - E_initial

So, when something is unstable it has a "high internal energy" and when it is stable it has a "low energy". So, the former case I presented in the first paragraph is indicative of a large, negative ΔE (Efinal << Einitial), and the latter case is indicative of a small, negative ΔE (Efinal < Einitial, but not "much"), so their heats of hydrogenation are large, and small, respectively.

Hope that helps.

Best Of Luck...!!!!

Cracking IIT just got more exciting,It’s not just all about getting assistance from IITians, alongside Target Achievement and Rewards play an important role. ASKIITIANS has it all for you, wherein you get assistance only from IITians for your preparation and winexciting gifts by answering queries in the discussion forums. Reward points 5 + 15 for all those who upload their pic and download the ASKIITIANS Toolbar, just a simple click here to download the toolbar….

So start the brain storming…. become a leader with Elite Expert League ASKIITIANS

Thanks

Aman Bansal

Askiitian Expert

Think You Can Provide A Better Answer ?

ASK QUESTION

Get your questions answered by the expert for free