enolic form of acetoacetic ester is less stable than ketonic form but enolic form of acetyl aceton is more stable than its ketonic form. why?

enolic form of acetoacetic ester is less stable than ketonic form but enolic form of acetyl aceton is more stable than its ketonic form. why?

Grade:

3 Answers

Aman Bansal
592 Points
12 years ago

Dear Nitesh,

In simple aldehydes and ketones ( i.e, acetaldehyde and acetone) the amount of enolic form is negligible. However, if the enolic form is stabilized by intra-molecular hydrogen bonding ( chelation), the amount of enolic form is much greater.

Best Of luck

Plz Approve the answer...!!!!

Cracking IIT just got more exciting,It’s not just all about getting assistance from IITians, alongside Target Achievement and Rewards play an important role. ASKIITIANS has it all for you, wherein you get assistance only from IITians for your preparation and winexciting gifts by answering queries in the discussion forums. Reward points 5 + 15 for all those who upload their pic and download the ASKIITIANS Toolbar, just a simple click here to download the toolbar….
So start the brain storming…. become a leader with Elite Expert League ASKIITIANS

Thanks

Aman Bansal

Askiitian Expert

nitish kumar
5 Points
12 years ago

but sir intramolecular hydrogen bonding is present in both the compounds ,i.e enolic form of acetoacetic ester and acetyl acetone..

sir please clear my doubt... i'am very confused..

aakanksha uday
30 Points
12 years ago

The enolic form of acetylaceton is more stable because of h-bond and conjugation bw c=o and c=c.In acetoaceticester's inolic form there is a h-bond but because of CROSS CONJUGATION bw (c=o and c=c) and (c=o and oxygen's lp) it is less stable than its ketonic form.Because cross conjugation decrease the stablity of compouds.

Think You Can Provide A Better Answer ?

ASK QUESTION

Get your questions answered by the expert for free