Was going through resonance topic, but got confused when it was asked to check for the most stable struture. The first rule is, Check for Octet of all atoms. But how to do that, its getting difficult at times. eg. What is the basic techniquie to count the electrons around atom. And those "+" and "-" charges indicates formal charges or what? Please help me clearify that. Thanks

Was going through resonance topic, but got confused when it was asked to check for the most stable struture.

The first rule is, Check for Octet of all atoms. But how to do that, its getting difficult at times.

eg. 

What is the basic techniquie to count the electrons around atom. And those "+" and "-" charges indicates formal charges or what?

Please help me clearify that.

Thanks

Grade:11

1 Answers

Jaya IITK
207 Points
12 years ago

See + sign means one electron has been taken from that atom and - means one electron has been given to that atom

and when theres a bond the atom has two electrons because one it had earlier and other because of sharing with adjacent atom(COVALENT BOND)..

If its nt clear post the question again with where u hav the doubt i will clear it

BEST OF LUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Plzzzzz approve my answer by clicking on yes below!!!!

Think You Can Provide A Better Answer ?

ASK QUESTION

Get your questions answered by the expert for free