badge image

Enroll For Free Now & Improve Your Performance.

User Icon
User Icon
User Icon
User Icon
User Icon

Thank you for registering.

One of our academic counsellors will contact you within 1 working day.

Please check your email for login details.
MY CART (5)

Use Coupon: CART20 and get 20% off on all online Study Material

ITEM
DETAILS
MRP
DISCOUNT
FINAL PRICE
Total Price: Rs.

There are no items in this cart.
Continue Shopping
Menu
Grade: 12

I have seen in many places questions asked like which is a stronger acid out of a given four.I find them a bit confusing.Can you tell me the required factors or properties to determine the strength of an organic acid?Can you also tell me to which factor prioroty must be given?

11 years ago

Answers : (1)

Askiitians expert Anirudh iitk
8 Points

The question here is generally determined by how strongly polarised the bond of teh H which will be ionised is. I.e. generally when there is an o-h bond, then there is a greater chance of polarization. however in a c-h bond, the chance of h being ionised or even released is very low.

these kind of qsns can be answered by determining how strongly electron cloud is pulled away by the neighboring atom to the H atom to be released is.

As O is highly electronegative, O-H bond has a higher potential to release H in the form of H+.  in case of COOH, the O-O-H, two negihboring atoms are  highly electro-ve. Hence, this has even greater chance of being released as H+. However in CHO or CH3, C-H bond almost has electron cloud equidistant from both atoms. Hence there is little chance that H+ will be relased. Hence, relatively, COOH>OH>CH3 etc... hwoever, in case of C-H  bond, if there is an electro-ve atom next to C(eg CHO grp) then O pulls on C and hence the electron cloud over C-H gets more distorted than in case of CH3. hence, CHO is more acidic than CH3.

this is the general strategy to answer this kind of qsns

11 years ago
Think You Can Provide A Better Answer ?
Answer & Earn Cool Goodies

Course Features

• 731 Video Lectures
  • Revision Notes
  • Previous Year Papers
  • Mind Map
  • Study Planner
  • NCERT Solutions
  • Discussion Forum