HETAV PATEL

Grade 11,

Hey this is my doubt .... Is hydroxyl group(-OH) electron withdrawing or electron releasing group??? I have heard that it is EWG with aliphatic molecules and EDG with aromatic molecules is it true ??? Kindly reply and im sure to approve !!!

Hey this is my doubt ....

Is hydroxyl group(-OH) electron withdrawing or electron releasing group???
I have heard that it is EWG with aliphatic molecules and EDG with aromatic molecules is it true ???

Kindly reply and im sure to approve !!!

Grade:12

1 Answers

vikas askiitian expert
509 Points
13 years ago

actually OH group is electron releasing as well as electron withdrawing group ...

-I effect (inductive effect) => in accordance with this effect OH group will show -I (electron withdrawing) effect due to presense  of an electronegative Oxygen atom ...

+R effect (resonance effect) => in accordance with this effect OH group will show is +R(electron releasing ) effect due to presence of lone pair of electrons on oxygen ...

when ever their is comparision in bw resonance & inductive or hyperconjugation then more priority is given to

resonance effect ....

example ->   CH3CH2OH     -       -I effect  ,   no resonance     -  OH group is electron withdrawing

CH2=CH-OH    -       -I effect ,    +R effect            - OH group electron releasing        (possiblity of resonance)

phenol          -       -I effect ,   +R effect            -  OH group is electron releasing    (possiblity of resonance)

this is not always true that if OH is attached to aliphatic molecules then it is EWG , if there is

possiblity of resonance then it will become EDG ...

if u still have doubt then ask

Think You Can Provide A Better Answer ?

ASK QUESTION

Get your questions answered by the expert for free