Question: What is the difference between Organic Compounds and Inorganic Compounds, how can you compare between the two, in a detailed way?

Question:  What is the difference between Organic Compounds and Inorganic Compounds, how can you compare between the two, in a detailed way?

Grade:11

1 Answers

Gaurav Sharma
19 Points
15 years ago

Comparison between Organic and Inorganic Compounds

Organic Compounds

Inorganic Compounds

*Organic Compounds are composed of few elements only.C, H,O,N,S,P and halogens are the most common.

* Inorganic Compounds are composed of all the known elements.

*They are generally found in living matter, i.e., animals and plants.

*They are generally obtained from non-living matter, i.e., minerals.

*They are usually gases, liquids or solids having low melting points.

*They are usually solids having high melting and boiling points.

*These, being covalent compounds, are generally insoluble in water and other polar solvents. These are fairly soluble in non-polar solvents.

*These, being electrovalent compounds, are generally soluble in water and other polar solvents. However, these are insoluble in non-polar solvents.

*The number of these compounds is very large, i.e., well over five million organic compounds are known. Every year thousands of new compounds are added to the existing list.

*The number of these compounds is small, i.e. about one lakh inorganic compounds are known. Their number has become somewhat fixed as new compounds are rarely discovered.

*They are generally volatile and inflammable.

*They are generally non-volatile and non-combustible.

*Their solutions are non- conductors of electricity.

* Their solutions are good- conductors of electricity.

*Chemical reactions are molecular and slow. The yields are poor due to side reactions.

*Chemical reactions are ionic and fast. The yields are quantitative and there is no side reaction.

*They exhibit the phenomenon of isomerism.

*The co-ordination compounds show the phenomenon of isomerism only.

*They have been classified into many classes on the basis of functional groups. Each class is represented by a general formula and the members show similar properties. Each class is known as homologous series.

*Homologous series are not found. The compounds are mainly divided as acids, bases and salts.

*Some compounds are highly complex and have high molecular masses. These complex compounds are stable.

*Inorganic compounds are less complex. Comparatively a complex compound is generally less stable.

Think You Can Provide A Better Answer ?

ASK QUESTION

Get your questions answered by the expert for free