What is photoelectric effect?can u explain me brifly please

What is photoelectric effect?can u explain me brifly please

Grade:12th pass

13 Answers

Arun
25750 Points
5 years ago
The photoelectric effect is the emission of electrons or other free carriers when light shines on a material. Electrons emitted in this manner can be called photo electrons. This phenomenon is commonly studied in electronic physics, as well as in fields of chemistry, such as quantum chemistry or electrochemistry.
Karan mewari
29 Points
5 years ago
Clearly explain plz why the electrons emitted? why not the metal surface obsorb the electron?please explain me clearly
Mahima Kanawat
1010 Points
5 years ago
Dear student 
Electrons on the metal surface move freely but can't escape from the metal surface because whenever they try to escape metal acquires positive charge and pulls electron back into the metal crystal.
To eject electrons from metal surface,  additional energy is required to overcome electrostatic attraction.
If this additional energy is given in the form of photons, It is called photoelectric effect .
WITH REGARDS 
MAHIMA 
ASKIITIANS FORUM EXPERT 
Karan mewari
29 Points
5 years ago
Thanku mem but 1 more question
Acc. To u the metal surface is positivly charged?and this is the reason why not the electron leavethe metal surface 
Mahima Kanawat
1010 Points
5 years ago
No .. Metal surface is not positively charged. Its neutral but when electron leaves the surafce it acquires positive charge due to loss of negative charge from neutral surafce. 
Karan mewari
29 Points
5 years ago
Thanku mem 
Please explain the sttoping potential and threshold frequncy. The sttoping potential and threshold energy related to each other ?? If related so explain please
Mahima Kanawat
1010 Points
5 years ago
You should ask it as a separate question. 
It would be better. I will answer all your questions.
WITH REGARDS 
MAHIMA 
ASKIITIANS FORUM EXPERT 
Karan mewari
29 Points
5 years ago
Okk
Mem first explain the stopping potential and then threshold frequncy. And also expalain the graph 
Mahima Kanawat
1010 Points
5 years ago
I am asking you to ask it as a separate question on forum. 
I can't continue to answer questions on the same thread. 
Thanks 
Karan mewari
29 Points
5 years ago
Okkk mem wait i am asking new question 
Explain compton effect. Only one question form this topic.please expalin me 
REENU SIVADARSHINI.M
118 Points
5 years ago
COMPTON EFFECT:
       IT IS THE SCATTERING OF PHOTONS BY A CHARGED PARTICLE [ELECTRON] .WHICH LEADS TO THE DECREASE IN THE ENERGY OF THE PHOTON AND THE PART OF ENERGY OF PHOTON IS TRANSFERED TO THE ELECTRON THIS IS CALLED COMPTON EFFECT
Abhira
15 Points
5 years ago
The phenomenon of ejection of electrons from a metal surface when a light ray of suitable frequency falls on it is called photoelectric effect .
The amount of frequency required to remove the electrons from a metal surface is called threshold frequency. If the incident light ray have more than the threshold frequency the remaining frequency other than threshold frequency converts into kinetic energy. Photoelectric effect is absorbed when incident light ray has more than threshold energy value .If a metal has more threshold energy the incident light ray should have more than that. This is the phenomenon of PHOTOELECTRIC EFFECT .
Shaista
16 Points
5 years ago
Photoelectric effect is the emission of electrons from the metal surface qhen light falls on the material.electrons emitted in this manner can be called photo electrons.

Think You Can Provide A Better Answer ?

ASK QUESTION

Get your questions answered by the expert for free