Do we observe Absorption And Emission Spectrum simultaneously or they are entirely different phenomenons? I am asking this because absorption spectrum is seen when a particular frequency or a range of frequencies are absorbed by electrons. If electrons are absorbing these frequencies in the form of photons then they will excite to the next level. On coming back again they will again release some photons from traveling from higher energy level to lower one... So we also get emission spectrum... Does it work like this, or am I ... ? And another thing, if it works like above, then why do we get absorption spectrum at all, we know photons are either completely absorbed or they aren't absorbed at all... So, if one is completely absorbed then an electron travels from a lower energy level to higher one and then comes back to the ground state, emitting a photon again. If this happens, then the frequency of the absorbed photon and the emitted photon should be same, so we should get same pattern, and so there wont be any missing frequencies... where am I wrong in this?

Do we observe Absorption And Emission Spectrum simultaneously or they are entirely different phenomenons?

I am asking this because absorption spectrum is seen when a particular frequency or a range of frequencies are absorbed by electrons. If electrons are absorbing these frequencies in the form of photons then they will excite to the next level. On coming back again they will again release some photons from traveling from higher energy level to lower one... So we also get emission spectrum... 
Does it work like this, or am I ... ? 

And another thing, if it works like above, then why do we get absorption spectrum at all, we know photons are either completely absorbed or they aren't absorbed at all... So, if one is completely absorbed then an electron travels from a lower energy level to higher one and then comes back to the ground state, emitting a photon again. If this happens, then the frequency of the absorbed photon and the emitted photon should be same, so we should get same pattern, and so there wont be any missing frequencies... where am I wrong in this?

Grade:10

1 Answers

shubham sharda
360 Points
8 years ago
There is a certain delay of course. First you get absorption spectrum and then after some time the emission spectrum depending upon the decay time of various electronic energy levels.

Think You Can Provide A Better Answer ?

ASK QUESTION

Get your questions answered by the expert for free