Difine gravitational intensity . and deduse its expression

Difine  gravitational intensity . and deduse   its expression

Grade:11

1 Answers

Arun
25750 Points
5 years ago
Gravitational intensity at a point in a gravitational field is represented in magnitude and direction by the force acting on unit mass placed at that point. It is a vector quantity, whose direction is same as that of the gravitational field.

Intensities are basically energy emitted by an object per unit area per unit time. Now that's a school definition I know. What do you understand from it? Nothing? Okay, let us think like this. What do you think, who is more hotter, sun or a human? Obviously Sun! But do you know that if Sun were of a size of a human (say six feet) then we would be more hotter than the Sun? That's it. To compare two objects, you need to give equal attributes to them. So to compare two objects, you divide an object's energy by it's surface area. But what if I cheat and allow the sun to emit energy for two minutes and say that it emitted more energy than the planet (whom I allowed to emit energy only for a second)? That would be unfair right? So you also divide by the time for which it emitted the energy.

So we use intensity to compare two objects and not energy. And hence intensity is basically the energy emitted “specifically” when you divide it by area and time.

Now that you understood intensity, you could understand electric intensity due to electric energy and gravitational intensity due to gravitational energy. I hope that helps! ;)

Think You Can Provide A Better Answer ?

ASK QUESTION

Get your questions answered by the expert for free