Two cylinders having radii R 1 and R 2 and rotational inertias I 1 and I 2 , respectively, are supported by axes perpendicular to the plane of Fig. The large cylinder is initially rotating with angular velocity ω 0 . The small cylinder is moved to the right until it touches the large cylinder and is caused to rotate by the frictional force between the two. Eventually, slipping ceases, and the two cylinders rotate at constant rates in opposite directions. Find the final angular velocity W2 of the small cylinder in terms of I 1 , I 2 , R 1 , R 2 , and ω 0 . (Hint: Angular momentum is not conserved. Apply the angular impulse equation to each cylinder. See Exercise 8.)

Two cylinders having radii R1 and R2 and rotational inertias I1 and I2, respectively, are supported by axes perpendicular to the plane of Fig. The large cylinder is initially rotating with angular velocity ω0. The small cylinder is moved to the right until it touches the large cylinder and is caused to rotate by the frictional force between the two. Eventually, slipping ceases, and the two cylinders rotate at constant rates in opposite directions. Find the final angular velocity W2 of the small cylinder in terms of I1, I2, R1, R2, and ω0. (Hint: Angular momentum is not conserved. Apply the angular impulse equation to each cylinder. See Exercise 8.)

Grade:upto college level

1 Answers

Navjyot Kalra
askIITians Faculty 654 Points
8 years ago
232-943_1.PNG
232-1885_1.PNG

Think You Can Provide A Better Answer ?

ASK QUESTION

Get your questions answered by the expert for free