There are 2 blocks on a rough horizontal surface. 2 forces – 1 on either block is applied in the same direction. We are asked to calculate the acceleration of both the blocks(given mu and mass of the blocks) and the tension in the string. I found that the whole system will move because the net force on the system overcame the maximum static friction on the system. How do I proceed after this? Also how do I tackle a similar problem if the whole system is static and we are asked to find the tension in the string?

There are 2 blocks on a rough horizontal surface. 2 forces – 1 on either block is applied in the same direction. We are asked to calculate the acceleration of both the blocks(given mu and mass of the blocks) and the tension in the string. I found that the whole system will move because the net force on the system overcame the maximum static friction on the system. How do I proceed after this? Also how do I tackle a similar problem if the whole system is static and we are asked to find the tension in the string?

Grade:11

1 Answers

Sandeep Pathak
askIITians Faculty 25 Points
9 years ago
I am not able to interpret your query. Please write down the problem clearly so that I can provide you the meaningful answer.

Esp. the part where you say “2 forces – 1 on either block is applied in the same direction” is confusing.

Think You Can Provide A Better Answer ?

ASK QUESTION

Get your questions answered by the expert for free