I have 2 doubts,questions are in the attached image. How can I find the acceleration of the individual blocks and the pulley(s) if the pulley itself is moved upwards? In the second question, I used constraint relations to find the relations between accelerations. I got 2a 1 +a 2 +a 3 = 0.After this , I also got the freebody equations. BUt while substituting for a 1 for eg, do I substitute as (- a 2 - a 3 ) /2 or ( a 2 +a 3 ) / 2, or this approach totally wrong. Please clarify.Thanks in advance.

I have 2 doubts,questions are in the attached image.
  1. How can I find the acceleration of the individual blocks and the pulley(s) if the pulley itself is moved upwards?
  2. In the second question, I used constraint relations to find the relations between accelerations. I got 2a1 +a2+a= 0.After this , I also got the freebody equations. BUt while substituting for afor eg, do I substitute as   (-a2 - a3) /2 or (a2+a3) / 2, or this approach totally wrong. Please clarify.Thanks in advance.

Question Image
Grade:11

1 Answers

Sandeep Pathak
askIITians Faculty 25 Points
9 years ago
Problem 1:
Approach: You calculate Tension forces on blocks by dividing applied force as F->F/2->F/4. Now calculate acceleration of a block is F/4m – g. If it is less than zero, a = 0. Acceleration of a pulley is equal to (a1+a2)/2 where a1, a2 are accelerations (rate of change of change of length) of two sides of string.

Problem 2: Your approach is totally correct. You got the correct constraint equation. 
If m1 is moving to right and both m2, m3 moving downwards, you apply a1=(a2+a3)/2.
Also keep in mind that these acceleration are in the reference frame of earth.

Please let us know if that clarifies your query or you need further explanation.
Thanks,
Sandeep

Think You Can Provide A Better Answer ?

ASK QUESTION

Get your questions answered by the expert for free