Does conservation of angular momentum is only applicable about centre of mass axis?Or we conserve it about any axis?Please please clear my doubt.This is a question. I got this answer but can anyone please solve it by taking centre of disc as axis. A circular disc of mass m and radius R rests flat on a horizontal frictionless surface.A bullet,also of mass m and moving with a velocity v,strikes the disc and gets embedded in it.The angular velocity with which the syatem rotates after the bullet strikes the hoop is:-Ans(v/2R)

Does conservation of angular momentum is only applicable about centre of mass axis?Or we conserve it about any axis?Please please clear my doubt.This is a question. I got this answer but can anyone please solve it by taking centre of disc as axis.
A circular disc of mass m and  radius R rests flat on a horizontal frictionless surface.A bullet,also of mass m and moving with a velocity v,strikes the disc and gets embedded in it.The angular velocity with which the syatem rotates after the bullet strikes the hoop is:-Ans(v/2R)

Grade:12th pass

1 Answers

Vikas TU
14149 Points
4 years ago
Dear student 
The law of conservation of angular momentum states that when no external torque acts on an object, no change of angular momentum will occur.
Good Luck 

Think You Can Provide A Better Answer ?

ASK QUESTION

Get your questions answered by the expert for free