A wooden cube of side 10 cm and specific gravity 0.8 floats in water with its upper surface horizontal. What depth of the cube remains immersed? What mass of aluminimum of specific gravity 2.7 must be attached to (I) The upper surface, (II) The lower surface so that the cube will be just immersed?

A wooden cube of side 10 cm and specific gravity 0.8 floats in water with its upper surface 
horizontal. What depth of the cube remains immersed? What mass of aluminimum of specific gravity 2.7 
must be attached to 
(I) The upper surface, 
(II) The lower surface so that the cube will be just immersed?

Grade:12th pass

4 Answers

Shobhit Varshney IIT Roorkee
askIITians Faculty 33 Points
9 years ago
Hi,

To calcuate depth immersed, use buoyancy = weight of cube.
For part 1, buyoant force will only be appled on the cube and wieght would increase.
Buyancy = Volume of cube * Density of water = Total weight
For part 2, buyant force will be applied both on cube and aluminium mass and weight would increase too.
Buoyancy = Volume of ( cube + aluminium) * Density of water = Total weight

thanks
Damini Parihar
10 Points
9 years ago
buoyancy= volume*density*g right ? why have you not considered g ?
Shobhit Varshney IIT Roorkee
askIITians Faculty 33 Points
9 years ago
Yes, it should be multipled with ‘g’. Sorry, my bad........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
JAHNVAVI SINHA
13 Points
4 years ago
when any object remains stable in a fluid , all its forces counter –balance each other and gives sum total as 0
therefore,f(downward)=mg = v*d*g  (d is desitybof object)
                f (upward,buoyancy)=V*D*g (D is density of fluid) , (V is the volume of object immersed)
  v*d*g=V*D*G
v*d=V*D
    THANK YOU HOPE IT HELPS

Think You Can Provide A Better Answer ?

ASK QUESTION

Get your questions answered by the expert for free