A small toy looks like a pipe and shoots a marble out each end. The toy is dropped out of a tree and fires halfway to be ground. One marble shoots directly up, the other directly down, Consider the vertical component of the acceleration ay of the marbles immediately after the marbles leave the toy, ignoring any air friction. (A) The upward-moving marble has ay 2 . (B) The upward-moving marhle has ay = -9.8 m/s 2 . (C) The upward-moving marble has ay >-9.8 m/s 2 . (D) The downward-moving marble has a­ y > -9.8 m/s 2 . I know that someone has answered this question, but it is still not clear for me why they can make the assumption that the marbles move with constant velocities. Is there a different way to explain the problem? Thanks!

A small toy looks like a pipe and shoots a marble out each end. The toy is dropped out of a tree and fires halfway to be ground. One marble shoots directly up, the other directly down, Consider the vertical component of the acceleration ay of the marbles immediately after the marbles leave the toy, ignoring any air friction.
(A) The upward-moving marble has ay 2.
(B) The upward-moving marhle has ay = -9.8 m/s2.
(C) The upward-moving marble has ay >-9.8 m/s2.
(D) The downward-moving marble has a­> -9.8 m/s2.

I know that someone has answered this question, but it is still not clear for me why they can make the assumption that the marbles move with constant velocities. Is there a different way to explain the problem? Thanks!

Grade:11

2 Answers

Vikas TU
14149 Points
4 years ago
Oliver Wayne
13 Points
4 years ago
Can you please provide a different explanation for this problem please? As I requested in the problem, I really don’t understand that solution. Also, I have a Chegg account, so the answer didn’t give me any extra insight. Thanks!

Think You Can Provide A Better Answer ?

ASK QUESTION

Get your questions answered by the expert for free