A metal rod of length L and mass M is pivoted at one end a thin disc of mass M and radius r smaller than hell is attached at its centre to the free end of the red consider the two ways the disc is attached case a.. the disc is not free to rotate about its centre andCase b the disc is free to rotate about Centre the road by system performs SHM in vertical plane being released from the same displacement position which of the following statements are true

A metal rod of length L and mass M is pivoted at one end a thin disc of mass M and radius r smaller than hell is attached at its centre to the free end of the red consider the two ways the disc is attached case a.. the disc is not free to rotate about its centre andCase b the disc is free to rotate about Centre the road by system performs SHM in vertical plane being released from the same displacement position which of the following statements are true

Question Image
Grade:12

1 Answers

Kapil
13 Points
3 years ago
Torque is same for both of cases
T=2π√I/(M+m)gd.   (where d is distance of CM from pivot)
 case A, I= (ml^2)/3 + [(MR^2)/2 + ML^2]
when disc is free to rotate about its centre it will not rotate w.r.t to ground it will act as point mass so moment of inertia is given by
Case B, I=(ml^2)/3 + ML^2
So case A I > case B I 
So Ta >Tb
So angular frequency of case A

Think You Can Provide A Better Answer ?

ASK QUESTION

Get your questions answered by the expert for free