A horse is urged to pull a wagon. The horse refused to try, citing Newton’s third law as a defense: the pull of the horse on the wagon is equal but opposite to the pull of the wagon on the horse. “ If I can never exert a greater force on the wagon than it exerts on me, how can I ever start the wagon moving?” asks the horse. How would you reply?

A horse is urged to pull a wagon. The horse refused to try, citing Newton’s third law as a defense: the pull of the horse on the wagon is equal but opposite to the pull of the wagon on the horse. “ If I can never exert a greater force on the wagon than it exerts on me, how can I ever start the wagon moving?” asks the horse. How would you reply?

Grade:10

1 Answers

Jitender Pal
askIITians Faculty 365 Points
8 years ago
The pull of the horse on the wagon is equal but opposite to the pull of the wagon on the horse, but there is a horizontal force which is exerted by the horse as they push to the ground. To start the wagon moving, the horse has to push harder against the ground results greater horizontal force. Therefore there will be greater net force which acts as the direction of horse is moving and the wagon will move in that direction.

Think You Can Provide A Better Answer ?

ASK QUESTION

Get your questions answered by the expert for free