4. One end of a string of length l is connected to a particle of mass m and the other to a small peg on a smooth horizontal table. If the particle moves in a circle with speed v the net force on the particle (directed towards the centre) is: (i) T, (ii) T-mv²/r, (iii)T+mv²/r, (iv) 0 T is the tension in the string. [Choose the correct alternative]. Ans. (i) When a particle connected to a string revolves in a circular path around a centre, the centripetal force is provided by the tension produced in the string. Hence, in the given case, the net force on the particle is the tension T , i.e., F = T = mv²/r Where F is the net force acting on the particle. my question is that why the net force is not zero considering centriugal force(mv²/r) in outward direction being balanced by centripetal force(=tension=-mv²/r) in inward direction

4. One end of a string of length l is connected to a particle of mass m and the other to a small peg on a smooth horizontal table. If the particle moves in a circle with speed v the net force on the particle (directed towards the centre) is:

(i) T, (ii) T-mv²/r, (iii)T+mv²/r, (iv) 0

T is the tension in the string. [Choose the correct alternative].

Ans. (i) When a particle connected to a string revolves in a circular path around a centre, the centripetal force is provided by the tension produced in the string. Hence, in the given case, the net force on the particle is the tension T, i.e.,

F = T = mv²/r

Where F is the net force acting on the particle.

my question is that why the net force is not zero considering centriugal force(mv²/r) in outward direction being balanced by centripetal force(=tension=-mv²/r) in inward direction

Grade:11

3 Answers

Soumya sharma
15 Points
5 years ago
Centrifugal force would not balance centripetal force because both act on different frame of reference.centripetal force acts on inertial frame of reference and centrifugal on non inertial frame of reference so therefore net force would not be zero.
PUJA KASHYAP
15 Points
5 years ago
for moving in a circle their must be a force towards its center so if we consider net force 0 then donot able to perform circular motion
Yash Chourasiya
askIITians Faculty 256 Points
3 years ago
Dear Student

Centrifugal force would not balance centripetal force because both act on different frame of reference.
Centripetal force acts on inertial frame of reference and centrifugal on non inertial frame of reference.
So therefore net force would not be zero.

I hope this answer will help you.
Thanks & Regards
Yash Chourasiya

Think You Can Provide A Better Answer ?

ASK QUESTION

Get your questions answered by the expert for free