Two particles executes shm of same amplitude and frequency along the same straight line They pass one another when going in opposite directions each time their displacement is half of their amplitude The phase difference between them is

Two particles executes shm of same amplitude and frequency along the same straight line They pass one another when going in opposite directions each time their displacement is half of their amplitude The phase difference between them is

Grade:12

1 Answers

Askiitians Expert Bharath-IITD
23 Points
14 years ago

Dear Pallavi,

We can solve this problem graphically. Now consider the graph as shown in the figure this would be the same for the other case too with a phse shift.

Now for one of the displacement would be half of its amplitude twice in a possitive cycle i.e. from 0 to ∏. The two pionts are  when pase term ωt is ∏/6 and 5∏/6. So for the two objects under given conditions .i.e one is going in the direction of its amplitude increase(0 to ∏/2) and the other is in the direction of its amplitude decrease i.e. from ∏/2 to ∏.

So the minimum phase difference is 5∏/6 - ∏/6 = 2∏/3

this phase difference may be even multiples of ∏.

5918-1333_8384_Untitled.jpg

Please feel free to post as many doubts on our discussion forum as you can. If you find any question
Difficult to understand - post it here and we will get you the answer and detailed solution very quickly. We
are all IITians and here to help you in your IIT JEE preparation.

All the best !!!

Regards,

Askiitians Experts

Adapa Bharath

Think You Can Provide A Better Answer ?

ASK QUESTION

Get your questions answered by the expert for free