a figure is mentioned(as i don't know how 2 scrap images in the question) like that. 1)draw a base line 2)a body B of mass 'm' on it 3) the upper end of B is attached to spring then with a string(rounded on a massless pulley) 4) the other part of the string is attached with a body A of mass M. A is released from rest when the string is in its natural length. for the block B to leave contact with the ground at some stage. what should be the minimum mass of block A ??????????????

a figure is mentioned(as i don't know how 2 scrap images in the question) like that.

1)draw a base line

2)a body B of mass 'm' on it

3) the upper end of B is attached to spring then with a string(rounded on a massless pulley)

4) the other part of the string is attached with a body A of mass M.

A  is released from rest when the string is in its natural length. for the block B to leave contact with the ground at some stage. what should be the minimum mass of block A  ??????????????

Grade:12

1 Answers

vinay AskiitiansExpert-IITD
34 Points
13 years ago

Dear Rajan,

you should analyze it that for minimum mass the block b will leave surface at maximum extension of spring, for masses greater, b will leave surface before maximum extension and for lesser masses it will not leave ever.

Let mass of block a  be M, we know at maximum extension velocity is 0 also extension in spring will be equal to desendent length  by block a

so by conservation of energy

kx2 /2 = Mgx

kx = 2Mg

now fbd of a

kx-Mg = Ma

gives  a = g

fbd of b with normal force 0 for leaving surface

ma = kx

mg = 2Mg

M = m/2

which is amaging that we can use 5kg to lift 10 kg wieght by putting a spring in between, otherwise we need to have 10 kg wieght.

like my answer.

For just leaving the surface the normal by surfce will be 0 on block b

We are all IITians and here to help you in your IIT JEE preparation.

Now you can win exciting gifts by answering the questions on Discussion Forum. So help discuss any query on askiitians forum and become an Elite Expert League askiitian.

Now you score 5+15 POINTS by uploading your Pic and Downloading the Askiitians Toolbar : Click here to download the toolbar.

Think You Can Provide A Better Answer ?

ASK QUESTION

Get your questions answered by the expert for free