A car travels at a speed of 60km/hr due north and other at 60km/hr due east. Are the velocities equal? If no, which one is greater? If you find any of the question irrelevant, explain

A car travels at a speed of 60km/hr due north and other at 60km/hr due east. Are the velocities equal? If no, which one is greater? If you find any of the question irrelevant, explain

Grade:12

4 Answers

AKASH GOYAL AskiitiansExpert-IITD
420 Points
13 years ago

Dear Nikhil

As velocitiy is a vector quantity. vector quantities have both magnitude and direction. Here magnitude is same but direction is different. we can write V1 = 60j and V2 = 60i. hence velocities are not equal. we can just compare the magnitude and magnitude wise they are equal.

All the best

AKASH GOYAL
AskiitiansExpert-IITD

Please feel free to post as many doubts on our discussion forum as you can. We are all IITians and here to help you in your IIT JEE preparation.

Now you can win exciting gifts by answering the questions on Discussion Forum. So help discuss any query on askiitians forum and become an Elite Expert League askiitian.

vikas askiitian expert
509 Points
13 years ago

borth particle are having diff velocities...

if we take north direction along +ve y axis and east direction along +xaxis then

velocity of first car is +60j km/hr and velocity of second car is +60i

thus velocity is diff in direction but same in magnitude ....

K
11 Points
5 years ago
Velocity is a vector quantity i.e., it possesess both magnitude and direction and follows the triangular law of vector addition. The given two velocities are not equal since they have the same magnitude i.e., 60km/hr but not the same direction. The second question "which one is greater" would be considered irrelevant since only vectors of same direction can be compared.
Aman
13 Points
3 years ago
No. The velocities are not equal because velocity is a vector quantity and here in the question both the velocities are in different direction as v1=60j^ and v2=60i^.....Also none of them is greater as both have same magnitude 
.thnkss ~Aman 

Think You Can Provide A Better Answer ?

ASK QUESTION

Get your questions answered by the expert for free