I am new to this site.I hope for reply.Our teacher hasnt started Pseudo yet,probably bcoz of that but i have encountered a problem from HCV related to pseudo force .Image-linkhttp://img213.imageshack.us/img213/8476/hcvpg82q33.pngNow here the small box with mass "m" should slant down.but as per question the small box does not and v have to find the mass "M" in terms of theta and,M' and m.the only force which would act on on the force in direction of slant is sin component of gravitational foce.then how can the box remain stationary. untill an other force acts on it opposite to that force.So it should slant down.So is this possible tht it may not slant down. Also two box are kept on one another,than if the lower box is attached to string than tha the tension will work on the same box or the both and which box will accelerate?

I am new to this site.I hope for reply.Our teacher hasnt started Pseudo yet,probably bcoz of that but i have encountered a problem from HCV related to pseudo force .Image-linkhttp://img213.imageshack.us/img213/8476/hcvpg82q33.pngNow here the small box with mass "m" should slant down.but as per question the small box does not and v have to find the mass "M" in terms of theta and,M' and m.the only force which would act on on the force in direction of slant is sin component of gravitational foce.then how can the box remain stationary. untill an other force acts on it opposite to that force.So it should slant down.So is this possible tht it may not slant down. Also two box are kept on one another,than if the lower box is attached to string than tha the tension will work on the same box or the both and which box will accelerate?

Grade:11

1 Answers

SAGAR SINGH - IIT DELHI
878 Points
13 years ago

Dear sidharth,

When several concurrent forces are acting on a body whose resultant is not zero, if we imagine a force to balance the resultant of all the forces, it is called a pseudo force. In normal applications of statics, this concept is not used. But in some cases where the concurrent forces keep changing in direction resulting in the resultant also changing direction, pseudo force concept is used.
For example, if we consider a body of mass m lying on the surface of the earth, then actually only two forces are acting on it: 1) its weight, mg, towards the center of the earth and 2) normal reactive force from the surface of the earth. In simple mechanics, we take the normal force to be mg and say that both these are balancing each other. But strictly speaking it is incorrect as the body must be stationary in the universe if the forces balance. Actually, the body is moving on a circle of radius equal to the radius of the earth along-with the rotation of the earth with constant angular speed. It means that a radial force of constant magnitude and varying direction must be acting on the body which is equal to mv^2/R and whose constantly changing direction is towards the center of the earth. If we were to consider an imaginary static equilibrium of the body, we will have to imagine a pseudo centrifugal force equal in magnitude to mv^2/R acting on the body in a direction radially outwards (away from the center of the earth). Such an imaginary force is called a pseudo force.

Please feel free to ask your queries here. We are all IITians and here to help you in your IIT JEE preparation.

All the best.

Win exciting gifts by answering the questions on Discussion Forum. So help discuss any query on askiitians forum and become an Elite Expert League askiitian.

Now you score 5+15 POINTS by uploading your Pic and Downloading the Askiitians Toolbar  respectively : Click here to download the toolbar..

Askiitians Expert

Sagar Singh

B.Tech, IIT Delhi

Think You Can Provide A Better Answer ?

ASK QUESTION

Get your questions answered by the expert for free