Please help me understand the question. A uniform disc of mass M and radius R is hanging from a rigid support and is free to rotate about a horizontal axis passing through its centre in vertical plane as shown. An insect of mass m falls vertically and hits the disc at a point at horizontal diameter with a velocit V0 and sticks on it. Calculate the minimum value of V0 so that the disc completes the vertical circular motion. I did not understand how will the disc rotate (since it hangs from a support). Which circular motion is asked about?

1934_4143_problem.jpg

Please help me understand the question.

A uniform disc of mass M and radius R is hanging from a rigid support and is free to rotate about a horizontal axis passing through its centre in vertical plane as shown. An insect of mass m falls vertically and hits the disc at a point at horizontal diameter with a velocit V0 and sticks on it. Calculate the minimum value of V0 so that the disc completes the vertical circular motion.

I did not understand how will the disc rotate (since it hangs from a support). Which circular motion is asked about?

Grade:12

1 Answers

Anil Pannikar AskiitiansExpert-IITB
85 Points
13 years ago

actually a rod is passing through the centre of he disc which will make the disc to rotate about its centre ( similar to the wheel of a car ) and the ends of that rod are further connected to the fixed support with the help of two rods on each end. The problem is talking about the circular motion of the disc with insect .

Now you can win exciting gifts by answering the questions on Discussion Forum. So help discuss any query on askiitians forum and become an Elite Expert League askiitian.

Now you score 5+15 POINTS by uploading your Pic and Downloading the Askiitians Toolbar : Click here to download the toolbar..

Think You Can Provide A Better Answer ?

ASK QUESTION

Get your questions answered by the expert for free