The length of a magnet is large compared to its width and breadth. The time period of its width and breadth. The time period of its oscillation in a vibration magnetometer is 2 s. The magnet is cut along its length into three equal parts and three parts are then placed on each other with their like poles together. The time period of this combination will be (A) 2 s (B) 2/3 s (C) 2 Ö 3 s (D) 2/ Ö 3 s .

The length of a magnet is large compared to its width and breadth. The time period of its width and breadth. The time period of its oscillation in a vibration magnetometer is 2 s. The magnet is cut along its length into three equal parts and three parts are then placed on each other with their like poles together. The time period of this combination will be     
            (A) 2 s                                                             (B) 2/3 s
            (C) 2Ö3 s                                                         (D) 2/Ö3 s .

Grade:upto college level

1 Answers

ROSHAN MUJEEB
askIITians Faculty 833 Points
3 years ago
The time period of oscillations of magnet
T=2πMHI​ ....(i)
where,I=moment of inertia of magnet
=12mI2​(m, being the mass of magnet)
M=pole strength×L
andH=horizontal component of Earth's magnetic field.
When the three equal parts of magnet are placed on one another with their like poles together, then
I′=121​(3m​)(3L​)2×3=121​9mL2​=9I​
andM′=Pole strength×3L​×3=M
Hence,T=2πMHI/9​⇒T′=31​×T
T′=32​s

Think You Can Provide A Better Answer ?

ASK QUESTION

Get your questions answered by the expert for free