​Q. The magnetic in a certain region of space is given by- B = 8.35 * 10 -2 j ^ T. A proton is shot intothe field with velocity v= ( 2 * 10 5 i ^ + 4 * 10 5 j ^ ) The proton follows a helical path in the field. The distance moved by proton in the x- direction during the period of one revolution in the yz- plane will be- 1. 0.053m 2. 0.136m 3. 0.157m 4. 0.236m

​Q.   The magnetic in a certain region of space is given by-                           B = 8.35 * 10-2 j^ T.                         A proton is shot intothe field with velocity v= ( 2 * 105 i^ + 4 * 105 j^ )   The proton follows a helical path in the field. The distance moved by proton in the x- direction during the period of one revolution in the yz- plane will be-                                        1. 0.053m        2. 0.136m                  3. 0.157m        4. 0.236m                      

Grade:12th pass

1 Answers

deepak
84 Points
7 years ago
first let us understand the motion of the particle,

F = q \overrightarrow{V} X\overrightarrow{B}
hence force is going to be towards the \widehat{k}
hence the particle will have circular motion in the x-z plane and translatory motion along the y direction

hence the distance moved along the x direction will be the radius of the helix,

we know that the radius of the helix = MV / BQ …....where m is mass of the proton q is its charge v is its velocity along the x                                                                                direction ( only the i component) and B is the magnetic field strength
=>r =  0.0236 m

the answer resembles option 4 pls check whether you have correctly given the information

hope this helps XD

Think You Can Provide A Better Answer ?

ASK QUESTION

Get your questions answered by the expert for free