Is magnetic field conservative or nonconservative??? Lets look at it this way, Closed integral B.dl is 0 only if total current thorugh the amperes loop is 0. But standard definition of conservative fields explains that for such a field the closed curl should always be 0. So i concluded that magnetic field is non conservative. But a question came in our mock at TIME. Its an assertion reason type question. The statement i am talking about said : UNIFORM MAGNETIC FIELD IS CONSEVATIVE IN NATURE. Obviously with my conclusion at hand, i wrote 'Option C: Statement is false'. But the solution said that the statement is correct with an explanation 'Theory question'. What the crap??????? So i went over a rampage online..... And i found multiple answers. Huge physics forums have people saying both - aka- magnetic fild is conservative and some saying it is nonconservative?? Even goiit. Check this out: http://www.goiit.com/posts/list/magnetism-is-magnetic-field-conservative-or-non-conservative-84167.htm Yes, work done by magnetic field is 0 over a loop now does that mean that B is conservative?? So i wanna dig into a discussion why a definition CONSERVATIVE FORCE FIELD came into physics. What does it actually mean??? Tell me your conclusion.

Is magnetic field conservative or nonconservative??? Lets look at it this way, Closed integral B.dl is 0 only if total current thorugh the amperes loop is 0. But standard definition of conservative fields explains that for such a field the closed curl should always be 0. So i concluded that magnetic field is non conservative.

But a question came in our mock at TIME. Its an assertion reason type question. The statement i am talking about said : UNIFORM MAGNETIC FIELD IS  CONSEVATIVE IN NATURE. Obviously with my conclusion at hand, i wrote 'Option C: Statement is false'. But the solution said that the statement is correct with an explanation 'Theory question'. What the crap???????

So i went over a rampage online..... And i found multiple answers. Huge physics forums have people saying both - aka- magnetic fild is conservative and some saying it is nonconservative?? Even goiit. Check this out:

http://www.goiit.com/posts/list/magnetism-is-magnetic-field-conservative-or-non-conservative-84167.htm

Yes, work done by magnetic field is 0 over a loop now does that mean that B is conservative?? So i wanna dig into a discussion why a definition CONSERVATIVE FORCE FIELD came into physics. What does it actually mean???

Tell me your conclusion.

Grade:10

1 Answers

ROSHAN MUJEEB
askIITians Faculty 833 Points
3 years ago
conservative force means the net work done by such force in a closed loop is zero.in the field of magnetostatics magnetic field is always doing zero work only.it is supposed to be non conservation in magnetodynamic cases which is not required for jee

Think You Can Provide A Better Answer ?

ASK QUESTION

Get your questions answered by the expert for free