I'm having a contradiction with my answer and the author's regarding problem no.6, Objective 1 in Concept of Physics 2, page 276 (Chapter: Permanent Magnets) Two short magnets of equal dipole moments M are fastened perpendicularly at their centers. The magnitude of magnetic field at a distance d from the center on the bisector of the right angle is My answer is ( 0 /4 ) ( 2 M/d 3 ) but the answer provided in the book is ( 0 /4 ) (2 2 M/d 3 ) Please tell me why I'm wrong. Thanks, Lois PS: I've attached the diagram for the problem

I'm having a contradiction with my answer and the author's regarding problem no.6, Objective 1 in Concept of Physics 2, page 276 (Chapter: Permanent Magnets)

Two short magnets of equal dipole moments M are fastened perpendicularly at their centers. The magnitude of magnetic field at a distance d from the center on the bisector of the right angle is

My answer is (0/4) (2 M/d3) but the answer provided in the book is (0/4) (22 M/d3) Please tell me why I'm wrong.

Thanks,
Lois
PS: I've attached the diagram for the problem

Grade:upto college level

1 Answers

ROSHAN MUJEEB
askIITians Faculty 833 Points
3 years ago
you are wrong here because you did not take the vertical component of field due to magnets

Think You Can Provide A Better Answer ?

ASK QUESTION

Get your questions answered by the expert for free