A slightly divergent beam of charged particles, accelerated by a potential difference V propagates from a point A on the axis of a long solenoid. The beam is focussed at a distance l from A by two magnetic induction values B 1 and B 2 one after another. Find the specific charge q/m of the particles. I went through the solution of this question My doubt is: Here it is agreeable that for B 1 we take l=nx(pitch) but for B 2 why do we take l=(n+1)x(pitch)? Here don’t we need to know out of B 1 and B 2 which is greater and also that if B 2 is greater the why (n+1) xpitch only? Here what does one after the other imply?

A slightly divergent beam of charged particles, accelerated by a potential difference V propagates from a point A on the axis of a long solenoid. The beam is focussed at a distance l from A by two magnetic induction values B1 and B2 one after another. Find the specific charge q/m of the particles.

I went through the solution of this question My doubt is:

Here it is agreeable that for B1 we take l=nx(pitch) but for B2 why do we take l=(n+1)x(pitch)?

Here don’t we need to know out of B1 and B2 which is greater and also that if B2 is greater the why (n+1)xpitch only? Here what does one after the other imply?

Grade:upto college level

1 Answers

ROSHAN MUJEEB
askIITians Faculty 833 Points
3 years ago
because pitch is just dependent on parallel component of velocity

Think You Can Provide A Better Answer ?

ASK QUESTION

Get your questions answered by the expert for free