i have difficulty in understanding the different magnitudes of the magnetic field due to a current carrying solenoid; it is zero outside the solenoid but is strong along its axis; how can this be explained?

i have difficulty in understanding the different magnitudes of the magnetic field due to a current carrying solenoid; it is zero outside the solenoid but is strong along its axis; how can this be explained?

Grade:12

1 Answers

Askiitians Expert Soumyajit IIT-Kharagpur
28 Points
13 years ago

Dear Akshaya Karthikeyan,

Ans:- Look at the fig below. Neglect the field lines only consider the flow direction of the current. It is coming out of the plane of the paper in the upper portion and going into the plane of the paper in the lower portion.

Consider any  point inside the solinoid on it's axis. I hope you understand the right hand grip rule to determine the direction of the magnetic field for a given current direction. So see that inside the solinoid, the field is towards right i.e towards the tip of the arrows. But consider a point at the bottom outside the solinoid. Here if you apply the Grip rule then, You can see that it is towards right for the upper portion but is towards the left for the lower portion . TRY IT.

So if the diameter of tae solinoid is very thin then these fields are equal and opposite hence cancel out each other.Inside the solinoid it's value can be calculated using Ampere's circuital law. Let the value be B. Then we get

∫B•dl = µNI

where N =total no of turns

As we have seen that, the value of The magnetic field B is along the length Hence B•dl=B dl

So ∫B•dl=B L

where L= total length

BL=µNI

B=µNI/L

B=µni

where n= no of turns per unit length

Please feel free to post as many doubts on our discussion forum as you can. If you find any question
Difficult to understand - post it here and we will get you the answer and detailed solution very quickly. We
are all IITians and here to help you in your IIT JEE preparation.

All the best Akshaya Karthikeyan !!!

Regards,

Askiitians Experts
Soumyajit Das IIT Kharagpur

Think You Can Provide A Better Answer ?

ASK QUESTION

Get your questions answered by the expert for free