Why tin Sn reacts different from other metal with Hno3? Because it product is metastannic acid

Why tin Sn reacts different from other metal with Hno3?
Because it product is metastannic acid

Grade:

2 Answers

Arun
25750 Points
5 years ago

You can get tin nitrate with cold dilute nitric acid if you are patient. However, the usual procedure is with hot fairly concentrated nitric acid. Metal nitrates tend to decompose with heat giving off brown fumes and depositing the metal oxide. I therefore suppose that tin (IV) nitrate is momentarily formed, but shifts to a more energetically favorable SnO2 structure by losing the nitrogens via NO and NO2.

Rajdeep
231 Points
5 years ago
HELLO THERE!

Tin dissolves very slowly, in very dilute nitric acid to produce stannous nitrate. When hot and more concentrated nitric acid is used, this becomes very unstable and decomposes , yielding the hydrated form of stannic oxide, known as Beta-stannic acid. Probably Alpha-stannic acid is first produced, which then passes to the Beta form. Thhe product, hence, is liable to contain both alpha and beta forms, and the pure Beta acid is obtained by dissolving this product in sodium hydroxide solution, and then adding excess of concentrated soda, which precipitates sodium p-stannate whilst the alpha salt remains in the solution. Pure Beta stannic acid, or metastannic acid, is then obtained by decomposing the sodium salt with acid. It is also formed by the hyrdolysis of its sodium salt at 60 degree Centigrade, and by boiling a dilute solution of stannic chloride, with or without the addition of nitric acid.

Correct me if I’m wrong..
Thanks!

Think You Can Provide A Better Answer ?

ASK QUESTION

Get your questions answered by the expert for free