the order of decreasing reactivity towards an electrophilic reagent for the following compounds benzene toluene chlorobenzoicacid ,phenol

the order of decreasing reactivity towards an electrophilic reagent for the following compounds benzene toluene chlorobenzoicacid ,phenol

Grade:12

1 Answers

Arun
25750 Points
4 years ago
Benzene having any activating group i.e, OH, R etc., undergoes electrophilic substitution very easily as compared to benzene itself. Thus toluene (C6H5CH3), phenol (C6H5OH) undergo electrophilic substitution very readily than benzene.Chlorine with +E and +M effect deactivating the ring due to strong -I effect. So, it is difficult to carry out the substitution  in chlorobenzene than in benzene, so correct order is 
Phenol > Toluene > Benzene > Chlorobenzene
Benzene having any activating group i.e, OH, R etc., undergoes electrophilic substitution very easily as compared to benzene itself. Thus toluene (C6H5CH3), phenol (C6H5OH) undergo electrophilic substitution very readily than benzene.Chlorine with +E and +M effect deactivating the ring due to strong -I effect. So, it is difficult to carry out the substitution  in chlorobenzene than in benzene, so correct order is 
Phenol > Toluene > Benzene > Chlorobenzene

Think You Can Provide A Better Answer ?

ASK QUESTION

Get your questions answered by the expert for free