I need material properties of magnalium(Al-85%+Mg-15%) like thermal conductivity, specific heat, density, coefficient of thermal expansion, etc..... Please help me.

I need material properties of magnalium(Al-85%+Mg-15%) like thermal conductivity, specific heat, density, coefficient of thermal expansion, etc..... Please help me.

Grade:12th pass

1 Answers

Rinkoo Gupta
askIITians Faculty 81 Points
9 years ago

Magnalium according to the Dictionary

Magnalium, alloy of aluminum and 5-50% magnesium. Although aluminum is weak and soft in the elemental state, aluminum alloyed with magnesium, manganese, zinc, tin, and zirconium to produce alloys useful in engineering materials. The strength and hardness of aluminum increases when it is alloyed with such substances as magnesium, manganese, nickel, chromium, zinc, iron, copper, and silicon. Magnalium lighter and more workable than aluminum is used in making metal mirrors and scientific instruments.

Magnalium as it might be explained by Magnalium.com.

An alloy of aluminum with significant amounts of magnesium, thereby lowering its density, improving corrosion resistance and fatigue while simplifying processing. In fact unlike most aluminum alloys Magnalium's fatigue numbers are usually measured in 5x10^8, or 500,000,000 cycles. To give you an idea as to how big a number this is, if you clapped your hands once per second, it would take you 15 years 9 months to clap 500,000,000 times. Or in the case of products to fatigue Magnalium pedaling at a full race pace it would take over 9 years to pedal 500,000,000 times, yes 100rpm, for 60 min an hour, 24 hours per day, 365 days per year, 2 really tired legs.

Below you will find basic outline of aluminum alloys, Magnalium information, New Magnalium developments, and finally other alloys we are offering.

Thanks & Regards

Rinkoo Gupta

AskIItians Faculty

Think You Can Provide A Better Answer ?

ASK QUESTION

Get your questions answered by the expert for free