I’m writing a rapport on an experiment i did in chemistry about complexions. Im trying to explain why copperions prefer to bind themselves with NH3 over H2O. I understand that it is because Nitrogen has a lower electronegativity than Oksygen, however i don’t understand why the electronegativity is so important and why copperions prefer atoms with low electronegativity over atoms with high electronegativity. Could anyone give me a simple explantion as to why?

I’m writing a rapport on an experiment i did in chemistry about complexions. Im trying to explain why copperions prefer to bind themselves with NH3 over H2O. I understand that it is because Nitrogen has a lower electronegativity than Oksygen, however i don’t understand why the electronegativity is so important and why copperions prefer atoms with low electronegativity over atoms with high electronegativity. Could anyone give me a simple explantion as to why?

Grade:12

1 Answers

Vikas TU
14149 Points
4 years ago
Dear student 
Because atoms do not exist in isolation and instead form molecular compounds by combining with other atoms, the concept of electronegativity is important because it determines the nature of bonds between atoms
Hope this help 
Good Luck 

Think You Can Provide A Better Answer ?

ASK QUESTION

Get your questions answered by the expert for free