how to find bond order with the most easiest way … i dont want to draw that MOT structure again and again to find bond order!!

how to find bond order with the most easiest way … i dont want to draw that MOT structure again and again to find bond order!!

Grade:11

1 Answers

Ashutosh Mohan Sharma
askIITians Faculty 180 Points
8 years ago
A single covalent bond has a bond order of one; a double covalent bond, a bond order of two; a triple covalent bond, three – and so on.In its most basic form, the bond order is the number of bonded electron pairs that hold two atoms together.

Consider how atoms come together into molecules.In any given molecule, the component atoms are bound together by bonded pairs of electrons. These electrons revolve around the nucleus of an atom in "orbitals," each of which can only hold two electrons. If an orbital is not "full"—i.e., it only holds one electron, or no electrons—then the unpaired electron can bond to a corresponding free electron on another atom.Depending on the size and complexity of a particular atom, it might have only one orbital, or it might have as many as four.
When the nearest orbital shell is full, new electrons start to gather in the next orbital shell out from the nucleus, and continue until that shell is also full. The collection of electrons continues in ever-widening orbital shells, as larger atoms have more electrons than smaller atoms.

Think You Can Provide A Better Answer ?

ASK QUESTION

Get your questions answered by the expert for free