exlain hybridization of central atom in : B r F5 explain the compound

exlain hybridization of central atom in :BrF5

explain the compound

Grade:12th pass

3 Answers

ankit singh
askIITians Faculty 614 Points
3 years ago

The hybridization of BrF5 can be determined by the number of lone pairs around iodine and the number of sigma bonds formed between Br and F. Since the central atom iodine has 7 valence electrons out of which 5 electrons form 5 sigma bonds with F atoms and and 2 electrons form 1 lone pair making the stearic number 6 which implies the hybridization of the central atom is sp3d2 (involving one 4s, three 4p and two 4d orbitals) where the geometry is octahedral and the shape is square pyramidal.

Shubharti Dixit
28 Points
3 years ago
 shortcut method for jee/neet or mht cet....It’s easy,BrF5 so 
step 1 : See how many number is attach to florine i.e 5 
step 2: Now you have to see to which group Br belongs to i.e 17th group(7 A ).
step 3: So we just have to substract 7-5 i.e 2 so we will get lone pair so as it is 2 electrons we can say it is having one lone pair.
step 4: 5+1= 6 i.e sp3d2 hybridization,square pyramidal because it has 5 atoms attach  and 1 lone pair.
formula used here :sum of attached atoms + lone pairs 
ajay
101 Points
3 years ago

The hybridization of BrF5 can be determined by the number of lone pairs around iodine and the number of sigma bonds formed between Br and F. Since the central atom iodine has 7 valence electrons out of which 5 electrons form 5 sigma bonds with F atoms and and 2 electrons form 1 lone pair making the stearic number 6 which implies the hybridization of the central atom is sp3d2 (involving one 4s, three 4p and two 4d orbitals) where the geometry is octahedral and the shape is square pyramidal.

Think You Can Provide A Better Answer ?

ASK QUESTION

Get your questions answered by the expert for free