Can someone plez relate and explain me the ~>atomic mass and isotops`s percentage abundance? With example (i want an simple explanation from experts)..plez don`t advise to prefer notes

Can someone plez relate and explain me the ~>atomic mass and isotops`s percentage abundance? With example (i want an simple explanation from experts)..plez don`t advise to prefer notes

Question Image
Grade:11

2 Answers

Utkarsh Joshi
44 Points
7 years ago
Dear sakhshi, 
At first i wolud recommend you to watch a basic explantion of fimding average atomic mass of an element in youtube. Because it would be difficult for both of us to understand the numerical part through text

And then you understand the basic relationship between average atomic mass , atomic mass(of a particular isotope) and natural abundance of an isotope.

I am providing some information so that you can clear your doubts

Natural abundance is an fixed ratio by atoms of an isotope in a natural sample.
 since each isotope have a different atomic mass in a sample. So with help of natural abundance (percentage of an an isotope in a sample) we try to find the average atomic mass of that sample i.e the minimum mass that of each atom of the sample . So that we can avoid using multiple masses.

Average atomic mass= [(natural abundance of 1st isotope x atomic mass of 1st isotope) + natural abundance of 2nd isotope x atomic mass of 2nd isotope) + (natural.......   an so onn...] ÷100

Hope u are satisfied..

Amulya Kumar Behera
23 Points
7 years ago
Naturally occuring elements if exists in isotopic forms then each isotope contribute some percenent towards the average atomic mass of that element.If there is an element A with 3 different isotopic forms with percentage abundance of 25% ,35% and 40% with atomic mass 15,16 and 18 respectively,then average atomic mass is given by    (25*15+35*16+40*18)/100=16.55.

Think You Can Provide A Better Answer ?

ASK QUESTION

Get your questions answered by the expert for free