Can somebody explain to me about the negative sign and magnitude for the values of standard reduction potentials for the alkali metals?

Can somebody explain to me about the negative sign and magnitude for the values of standard reduction potentials for the alkali metals?

Grade:Upto college level

1 Answers

Badiuddin askIITians.ismu Expert
148 Points
14 years ago

Dear farrah

The alkali metals are strong reducing agents. The standard electrode potentials all lie between -2.7V and -3.0V, indicating a strong tendency to form cations in solution. They can reduce oxygen, chlorine, ammonia and hydrogen. The reaction with oxygen tarnishes the metals in air, so they are stored under oil. They cannot be stored under water because they react with it to produce hydrogen and alkali hydroxides:

2M(s) + 2H2O(l) -------> 2M+(aq) + 2OH-(aq) + H2(g)

eg 2Na(s) + 2H2O(I) ------>2NaOH(aq) + H2(g)

This reaction illustrates the increasing reactivity on descending the Group. Li reacts steadily with water, with effervescence; sodium reacts more violently and can burn with an orange flame; K ignites on contact with water and burns with a lilac flame; Cs sinks in water, and the rapid generation of hydrogen gas under water produces a shock wave that can shatter a glass container.

Na dissolves in liquid ammonia to give a deep blue solution of sodium cations and solvated electrons. This solution is used as a reducing agent. At higher concentrations the colour of the solution changes to bronze and it conducts electricity like a metal.

The chemistry of Li shows some anomalies, as the cation Li+ is so small it polarises anions and so introduces a covalent character to its compounds. Li has a diagonal relationship with magnesium.

Standard Electrode Potentials/V
Li          -3.04
Na          -2.71
K          -2.92
Rb          -2.92
Cs          -2.92 

Please feel free to post as many doubts on our discussion forum as you can.
If you find any question Difficult to understand - post it here and we will get you
the answer and detailed  solution very  quickly.

We are all IITians and here to help you in your IIT JEE preparation.

All the best.

Regards,
Askiitians Experts
Badiuddin

Think You Can Provide A Better Answer ?

ASK QUESTION

Get your questions answered by the expert for free