Please tell me about the reactions of nitric acid(very dil. , dil. and conc. ) with metals.........

Please tell me about the reactions of nitric acid(very dil. , dil. and conc. ) with metals.........

Grade:12

1 Answers

SAGAR SINGH - IIT DELHI
878 Points
13 years ago

Dear student,

Nitric acid behaves differently with different metals at different concentrations.

i) With sodium, potassium and calcium the reaction is highly explosive.

ii) With magnesium and manganese

With magnesium and manganese, cold and extremely dilute (1%) nitric acid, reacts to yield hydrogen as explained  above.

iii) With Copper

• With cold dilute nitric acid:

Copper reacts with cold and dilute nitric acid to yield copper nitrate, water and nitric oxide.

The formed nitric oxide combines with the oxygen of air to give brown fumes of NO2.

action of nitric acid with oxygen

• With concentrated nitric acid (cold or hot):

Copper reacts with cold or hot concentrated nitric acid to yield copper nitrate, water and nitrogen dioxide.

action of nitric acid with copper

iv) With Zinc

• With cold dilute nitric acid:

Zinc reacts with cold and dilute nitric acid to yield zinc nitrate, water and nitric oxide.

action of nitric acid with zinc

• With concentrated nitric acid (cold or hot):

Zinc reacts with cold or hot concentrated nitric acid to yield zinc nitrate, water and nitrogen dioxide.

v) With Iron

• With cold and dilute nitric acid:

Iron reacts with cold and dilute nitric acid to give ferrous nitrate, water and nitric oxide.

action of nitric acid with iron

• With concentrated nitric acid (hot or cold):

Iron reacts with cold or hot concentrated nitric acid to give ferric nitrate, water and nitrogen dioxide.

Please feel free to ask your queries here. We are all IITians and here to help you in your IIT JEE preparation.

All the best.

Win exciting gifts by answering the questions on Discussion Forum. So help discuss any query on askiitians forum and become an Elite Expert League askiitian.

Now you score 5+15 POINTS by uploading your Pic and Downloading the Askiitians Toolbar  respectively : Click here to download the toolbar..

Askiitians Expert

Sagar Singh

B.Tech, IIT Delhi

Think You Can Provide A Better Answer ?

ASK QUESTION

Get your questions answered by the expert for free