"Elements that have higher electronegativity difference are ionic and those that have less electronegativity difference are covalent" Can this statement be used in deciding which compounds are covalent and ionic in general? What about the fact that all bonds formed by an element are covalent if the element has small size, high charge denisty, i.e high polarising power in the case of cations, like boron shows high covalent characteristic? Can someone clear it up for me by giving me deciding factors on cations/anions which are ionic or covalent?

"Elements that have higher electronegativity difference are ionic and those that have less electronegativity difference are covalent"

Can this statement be used in deciding which compounds are covalent and ionic in general? 

What about the fact that all bonds formed by an element are covalent if the element has small size, high charge denisty, i.e high polarising power in the case of cations, like boron shows high covalent characteristic? 

Can someone clear it up for me by giving me deciding factors on cations/anions which are ionic or covalent?

Grade:Upto college level

1 Answers

ruchi yadav
askIITians Faculty 27 Points
10 years ago

When the difference between the electronegativities of the elements in a compound is relatively large, the compound is best classified asionic.

Example: NaCl, LiF, and SrBr2are good examples of ionic compounds. In each case, the electronegativity of the nonmetal is at least two units larger than that of the metal.

Compounds for which the electronegativity difference is between about 1.2 and 1.8 are best described aspolar, orpolar covalent.

Thank You

Ruchi

Askiitians Faculty

Think You Can Provide A Better Answer ?

ASK QUESTION

Get your questions answered by the expert for free