hello,,,i want to know what is a disproportonation reaction.....pls elaborate with examples....An explanatory answer will be highly appreciated.Thnks in advance

hello,,,i want to know what is a disproportonation reaction.....pls elaborate with examples....An explanatory answer will be highly appreciated.Thnks in advance

Grade:12

2 Answers

Vikas TU
14149 Points
10 years ago

Disproportonation reaction -When same element undergoes oxidation and as well as  reduction then reacn. is disproportonation reaction.

Example-

HENCE   IT  IS  AN DISPROP. REACN.

BOTH  OXD. AND RED. ARE  TAKING PLACE.

PLZ APPROVE!

FITJEE
43 Points
10 years ago

Disproportionation, is a specific type of redox reaction in which a species is simultaneously reduced and oxidized to form two different products.

For example: the UV photolysis of mercury(I) chloride Hg2Cl2 → Hg + HgCl2 is a disproportionation. Mercury (I) is a diatomic dication Hg22+. In this reaction thechemical bond in the molecular ion is broken and one mercury atom is reduced to mercury (0) and the other is oxidized to mercury (II). A similar type of reaction, but in which no element changes oxidation number, is the acid-base disproportionationreaction observed when an amphiprotic species reacts with itself. Two common examples for conjugated bases of polyprotic acids such as bicarbonate anddihydrogenophosphate are respectively:

HCO3- + HCO3- → CO32- + H2CO3
H2PO4- + H2PO4- → HPO42- + H3PO4

(the oxidation numbers remain constant in these acid-base reactions: O = 2-, H = 1+, C = 4+, P = 5+). This is also called autoionization.

The reverse of disproportionation, when a compound in an intermediate oxidation state is formed from compounds in lower and higher oxidation states, is calledcomproportionation.

Think You Can Provide A Better Answer ?

ASK QUESTION

Get your questions answered by the expert for free