Thank you for registering.

One of our academic counsellors will contact you within 1 working day.

Please check your email for login details.
MY CART (5)

Use Coupon: CART20 and get 20% off on all online Study Material

ITEM
DETAILS
MRP
DISCOUNT
FINAL PRICE
Total Price: Rs.

There are no items in this cart.
Continue Shopping

The coordination number of Cu2+ is 4or6...now in CuSO4.5H2O why copper is attached only with 4 water molecules...i mean why not all 5 molecules are attched.....question from jee 2009

The coordination number of Cu2+ is 4or6...now in CuSO4.5H2O why copper is attached only with 4 water molecules...i mean why not all 5 molecules are attched.....question from jee 2009

Grade:12th Pass

1 Answers

ruchi yadav
askIITians Faculty 27 Points
7 years ago
Copper sulphate penta hydrate is known as blue vitirol and is the most common oxosalt of copper(2)
Preparation
Copper sulphate is prepared industrially by blowing a current of air through copper scrap and dilute sulphuric acid.

2Cu + 2H2O + O2 --------> 2CuSO4 + 2H2O

The crude copper(2) sulphate solution obtained contain iron(2) sulphates as impurity Dilute nitric acid is added to oxidize iron(2) to iron(3) sulphate which remains in solution after crystallization and CuSO4 5H2O crystallizes out.

The crystalline copper(2) sulphate, CuSO4 5H2O has the structure in which four water molecules are coordinated to the central copper cation in square planar structure. The fifth water molecule is held by hydrogen bonds between a sulphate anion and a coordinated water molecule. The fifth hydrogen bonded water molecule is deeply embedded in the crystal lattice and hence not easily removed.

Thank You
Ruchi
Askiitians Faculty

Think You Can Provide A Better Answer ?

Provide a better Answer & Earn Cool Goodies See our forum point policy

ASK QUESTION

Get your questions answered by the expert for free