A metal chloride ‘X’, on treatment with H2S in acidic medium gives a black ppt. An aqueous solution of X when treated with a solution of SnCl2 gives a white ppt turning grey in excess SnCl2. An aqueous solution of ‘X’ when treated with aqueous solution of KI gives a red ppt that dissolves in excess KI giving a colourless solution that is used for the detection of cation Y. Identify ‘X’ and Y with justification. and write all the reactions involved. also please tell me which book has similar questions with solutions

A metal chloride ‘X’, on treatment with H2S in acidic medium gives a black ppt. An 

aqueous solution of X when treated with a solution of SnCl2 gives a white ppt turning 

grey in excess SnCl2. An aqueous solution of ‘X’ when treated with aqueous solution of 

KI gives a red ppt that dissolves in excess KI giving a colourless solution that is used for 

the detection of cation Y.  Identify ‘X’  and Y with justification. and write all the reactions involved.

also please tell me which book has similar questions with solutions

Grade:

5 Answers

SOUMYAJIT NAG
18 Points
11 years ago
PbCl2
Har Simrat Singh
42 Points
11 years ago

A very difficuly question because in organic involves many diff compounds 

I am guessing this might be Hg Cl2  mercuric chloride with H2S it froms HgS (black) and 

HgCl2 + SnCl2 = Hg2Cl2 (white) + SnCl4

Hg2Cl2 + SnCl2 = Hg (grey) + SnCl4

And HgCl2 with KI gives K2HgI4 (Nesslers Reagant) for detecting NH4+ ammonium cation

I have GRB Inorganic chemistry by OP Tandon it has similar questions and hints to approx all problems

Ranjita yadav
35 Points
11 years ago

The metal chloride is HgCl2.   HgCl2+H2S ->HgS+2HCl

HgCl2 +SnCl2 ->Hg +SnCl4

(grey mercury)

HgCl2+2KI -> HgI2  +2KCl 

HgI2 is used for detection of presence of NH4+ , so Y=NH4+

vishal ojha
35 Points
10 years ago

Hg Cl2  mercuric chloride with H2S it froms HgS (black) and 

And HgCl2 with KI gives K2HgI4 (Nesslers Reagant) for detecting NH4+ ammonium cation

vishal ojha
35 Points
10 years ago

Hg Cl2  mercuric chloride with H2S it froms HgS (black) and 

Think You Can Provide A Better Answer ?

ASK QUESTION

Get your questions answered by the expert for free