which is stronger base?NF3 or NCl3??i thought NF3 is better...i know fluorine is more electronegative than nitrogen so will pull the lone pair of nitrogen towards itself and reduce the tendancy to donate electron pair..but on the other hand,there is back bonding between electron pair of N and vaccant d orbital of Cl..so electron pair is not available for donating...so what should be the answer now???

which is stronger base?NF3 or NCl3??i thought NF3 is better...i know fluorine is more electronegative than nitrogen so will pull the lone pair of nitrogen towards itself and reduce the tendancy to donate electron pair..but on the other hand,there is back bonding between electron pair of N and vaccant d orbital of Cl..so electron pair is not available for donating...so what should be the answer now???

Grade:12th Pass

2 Answers

harihara kumar
45 Points
11 years ago

NF3.Because u said that flourine 

will pull the lone pair of nitrogen towards itself and reduce the tendancy to donate electron pair.but it is not possible.pulling of electron is possible only when one of the bonded atom has large size and the other has very small size with respect to other bonded atom.for example:hcl.in hcl,cl tries to pull the bonded pair of electron towards it.

when coming to ncl3,cl does not have d-orbital electron.because electronic configuration of cl is 1s22s22p63s23p5.

Manoj Modalavalasa Kumar
34 Points
11 years ago

As the back bonding effect is more predominant, we consider NCl3 as stronger base

Think You Can Provide A Better Answer ?

ASK QUESTION

Get your questions answered by the expert for free