How to recognize the salt on the bases of it's colour? For ex- A sol^n of colorless salt D on boling wid excess NaOH produces a non-flammable gas. The gas evolution ceases after sometime. Upon addition of Zn dust to a same sol^n, the evolution restarts. The colorless salts is/are???? i m weak in such questions.... Pls sir guide me.....

How to recognize the salt on the bases of it's colour?
For ex-
A sol^n of colorless salt D on boling wid excess NaOH produces a non-flammable gas. The gas evolution ceases after sometime. Upon addition of Zn dust to a same sol^n, the evolution restarts. The colorless salts is/are????

i m weak in such questions....
Pls sir guide me.....

Grade:12

2 Answers

Vijyes
36 Points
13 years ago

THE SALT IS AMMONIUM NITRITE OR AMMONIUM NITRATE. U SHOULDN'T TRY TO FIND THE NAME OF THE SALT MERELY ON THE BASIS OF ITS COLOR. ALL U CAN DO IS SIDELINE SOME OF THE SALTS HAVING DIFFERENT COLOURS. FOR EXAMPLE IN UR QSTN, ONE CAN EASILY SAY THE SALT DOESN'T CONTAIN COPPER, IRON ETC ON THE BASIS OF COLOUR. THEN ON THE BASIS OF THE FACT THAT A COLOURLESS NON-INFLAMMABLE GAS IS EVOLVED, U CAN SAY, THAT THE CATION CONTAINS SOME ELEMENTS OR COMPUNDS THAT ARE OF GASEOUS NATURE UNDER ORDINARY CIRCUMSTANCES. THEN FURTHER, ZINC IS A REDUCING AGENT, SO THE GAS EVOLVED MUST BE HYDROGEN OR CONTAINS HYDROGEN. SINCE IT IS NON COMBUSTIBLE, IT IS NOT HYDROGEN. NOW REFERRING TO THE SYLLABUS FOR IIT JEE, THE ONLY POSSIBILITY IS AMMONIA.... AND SO ON.

GOOD LUCK

sundar ramachandran
14 Points
12 years ago

i think it should be salt of ammonia

Think You Can Provide A Better Answer ?

ASK QUESTION

Get your questions answered by the expert for free