WHAT HAPPENS WHEN: 1 STEAM IS PASSED OVER RED HOT IRON? 2Mg IS TREATED WITH di.H2SO4? 3 STEAM IS PASSED OVER RED HOT COKE? SIR, HOW I COME TO KNOW THIS IN COMPETITIVE EXAMS??????

WHAT HAPPENS WHEN:

1 STEAM IS PASSED OVER RED HOT IRON?

2Mg IS TREATED WITH di.H2SO4?

3 STEAM IS PASSED OVER RED HOT COKE?

SIR, HOW I COME TO KNOW THIS IN COMPETITIVE EXAMS??????

Grade:11

4 Answers

SAGAR SINGH - IIT DELHI
878 Points
13 years ago

Dear student,

Iron does not react with water in the ordinary temperature. It reacts only with steam. When steam is passed over red-hot iron, iron (II,III) oxide and hydrogen gas are formed.

Please feel free to ask your queries here. We are all IITians and here to help you in your IIT JEE preparation.

All the best.

Win exciting gifts by answering the questions on Discussion Forum. So help discuss any query on askiitians forum and become an Elite Expert League askiitian.

Now you score 5+15 POINTS by uploading your Pic and Downloading the Askiitians Toolbar  respectively : Click here to download the toolbar..

Askiitians Expert

Sagar Singh

B.Tech, IIT Delhi

sagarsingh24.iitd@gmail.com

Anas Abbas
18 Points
12 years ago

As, we know that Mg is a metal and when it reacts with dilute acid  it forms salt and hydrogen gas.

Mg   +     H2SO4 (dil)           forms           MgSO4   +    H2    

abhishek
15 Points
5 years ago
we all know magnesium is a metal when it react with react with dilute acid say H2SO4 , the cation magnesium get react with sulphur dioxide present in H2S04 because H2S04 is anion and form MGS04  and hydrogen is also formed 
Yash Chourasiya
askIITians Faculty 256 Points
3 years ago
Dear Student

1. Iron does not react with water in the ordinary temperature. It reacts only with steam. When steam is passed over red-hot iron, iron (II,III) oxide and hydrogen gas are formed.

2. Magnesium is more reactive than hydrogen and it displaces hydrogen from dilute acids. Magnesium reacts with dilute sulphuric acid to form magnesium sulphate and hydrogen gas is evolved. This is a single displacement reaction and also exothermic.

3.When steam is passed over red hot coke, water gas (CO+ H2O)is formed.

I hope this answer will help you.
Thanks & Regards
Yash Chourasiya

Think You Can Provide A Better Answer ?

ASK QUESTION

Get your questions answered by the expert for free