I have two questions. 1)Why do ionic hydrides have more density than the corresponding metals? I know that interstitial hydrides have lower density than the corresponding metals from which they were formed as the crystal lattice expands due to inclusion of H 2 . What makes ionic hydrides more denser then? 2) Why is CsF highly soluble in water whereas CsI is least soluble (both in comparision to its group)

I have two questions.

1)Why do ionic hydrides have more density than the corresponding metals?

I know that interstitial hydrides have lower density than the corresponding metals from which they were formed as the crystal lattice expands due to inclusion of H2. What makes ionic hydrides more denser then?

2) Why is CsF highly soluble in water whereas CsI is least soluble (both in comparision to its group)

Grade:12

1 Answers

AJIT AskiitiansExpert-IITD
68 Points
13 years ago

Dear  Abdul ,

Ionic hydrides are   generally formed with metals of the I or II group. These elements have lower atomic weight and higher radius so their density s quite low , relative to other metals . I n case of ionic hydrides these metal atoms lose their valence elctron and so their radius contracts . So , their density increases .

i think in second case you can simply apply fazan's rule and see that csI is more covalent than csF and so the order of solubility.

Please feel free to ask your queries here. We are all IITians and here to help you in your IIT JEE preparation.

All the best.

Win exciting gifts by answering the questions on Discussion Forum. So help discuss any query on askiitians forum and become an Elite Expert League askiitian.

Now you score 5+15 POINTS by uploading your Pic and Downloading the Askiitians Toolbar  respectively : Click here to download the toolbar..

Askiitians Expert

Ajit Singh Verma IITD

Think You Can Provide A Better Answer ?

ASK QUESTION

Get your questions answered by the expert for free