Please suggest me a Experiment to study the oxalate ion contained in Guava Fruit as I have got project on it. Please reply by experimental format i.e. Aim, Apparatus ,Procedure, Result, Observation etc.

Please suggest me a Experiment to study the oxalate ion contained in Guava Fruit as I have got project on it. Please reply by experimental format i.e. Aim, Apparatus ,Procedure, Result, Observation etc.

Grade:12

2 Answers

SAGAR SINGH - IIT DELHI
878 Points
13 years ago

Dear jay,

Presence of oxalate ion is high in guava about 60 percentege of guava contains oxalate ions ,oxalate ions present in guava is of the type h-h k-f &n-n,presence of oxalate ion decreases as it ripens

To test the presence of oxalate ion in guava fruit.....
Take a small amount of juice of the fruit filter it dilute with water and add vinegar to expel the carbonate then add small quantity of lime water the white precipitates confirm the presence of oxalate ions.

METHOD
•Weigh 10.0g of fresh guava and crush it to a fine pulp using pestle-mortar.

• Transfer the crushed pulp to a beaker and add about 50ml dil. H2SO4 to it. Boil the
contents for about 10 minutes.

Cool and filter the contents in a 100ml measuring flask. Make the volume up to 100ml by adding distilled water.

• Take 20ml of the solution from the measuring flask into a titration flask and add 20ml of dilute suphuric acid to it.

Heat the mixture to about 600C and titrate it against N / 20 KMnO4 solution taken in a burette.
The end point is appearance of permanent light-pink colour.

• Repeat the above experiment with 1,2and 3 days old guava fruit.
by the process of titration we can detemine the content of oxalate ions in guava.

We are all IITians and here to help you in your IIT JEE preparation.

All the best.

If you like this answer please approve it....

win exciting gifts by answering the questions on Discussion Forum

Sagar Singh

B.Tech IIT Delhi

Rushabh Kamdar
18 Points
11 years ago

But what exactly should be the concentration of the dilute sulphuric acid that is used?

And if possible can you tell me the literature value which should be obtained for unripe, ripe and overripe guava so i can reflect it in my conclsuion and evaluation?

This project is really very important for me and I reaaly need to clear out these doubts asap!!!!!

Think You Can Provide A Better Answer ?

ASK QUESTION

Get your questions answered by the expert for free